Toolmaker/Machinist - Day Shift
Division: Corporate - Brookings, SD
1313 Western Avenue, Brookings
Summary of Job Responsibilities: Sets up and operates conventional, special purpose, and numerical control CNC machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
1. Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements. Plans sequence of operations, visualizing shape of mold in reverse of product.
2. Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
3. Indentifies machining specifications to set up and operate machines such as numerical EDM, CNC mill, lathe, manual mills, surface grinders, band saws, etc. Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, grinders, and EDMs.
4. Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
5. Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
6. Completes preventative maintenance on molds and components as needed.
7. Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
8. Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
9. Fits and assembles parts into complete mold assembly.
10. Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly.
11. Grinds, files, and sands parts to fit parts for assembly and to polish smooth and finish cavity.
Education and/or Experience:
One or two year Certificate from college or technical school and 1 - 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; (oils, anti-freeze, etc.) and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Forklift Driver Certification needs to be maintained annually.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Must be self-motivated and possess the ability to make decisions as well as follow instructions. Must be able to communicate on a daily basis with other toolmakers and supervisor with regard to project progression and request assistance when necessary. Must be able to professionally handle stressful situations and demonstrate teamwork on an ongoing basis. Must reasonably expect to work when requested outside of normal work schedule in order to meet customer deadlines.